“If you’re not focused on the KPIs that will grow your business, then you’re not focusing on the KPIs that make SEO worthwhile.”– Eli Schwartz.
Hey👋, Rafiqul here. Welcome to Content Marketing VIP that delivers actionable insights, the latest updates, & free resources bi-weekly, for free.
First time here? Read past episodes.
Let’s get started →
🎯 Actionable Insights
💡 1. Content Marketing TIP: Don’t Use Year/ Numbers In The URL
If you’re publishing or planning to publish a yearly report or a data-driven study once a year, then re-use the same URL for future reports.
These are linkable assets, and these pages organically (or via outreaching) acquire links from other websites.
So not changing the URL will strengthen the page authority over time.
Hence, a good chance to rank for the target keywords and get mentions organically.
💡 2. Indeed’s Data-Driven Content Strategy
If you search for queries like
- Architect salary
- Accountant salary
- Computer engineering salary
Then you’ll find Indeed ranking in the top 5 positions on Google.
In fact, there are 5k+ salary-related queries for which Indeed is ranking in the top 10 positions.
Not only that, Indeed has gone from 0 to 89,000+ organic visits per month in less than 12 months.
That is how powerful the content strategy of Indeed is.
Let’s find out the secret behind this huge growth of search traffic.
Creating & Scaling Data-driven content →
First, have a look at the typical salary page from Indeed:
As you can see, this is an example of data-driven content.
When it comes to creating data-driven content assets, Indeed has one big advantage over other individual competitors.
And, that advantage is the access to a large dataset generated from employees and employers.
For example, the average salary shown on any of these pages is the data submitted by employees.
Benefits of creating data-driven content:
- You become the exclusive source of data. This helps in getting mentions and citations from bloggers, journalists, etc.
- Feeds the users’ intent.
- Data from users, surveys, experiments make the content more credible and trustable.
This is why we also call this link-worthy content.
Along with salary pages, the company is also doing great in using user-generated content.
For instance, employees get a chance to share reviews of their present or past companies. This helps Indeed to build a large number of reviews along with ratings.
Ranking in the top 5 positions for 16k+ search queries related to company reviews.
- To create link-worthy content, focus on becoming the source of reports, statistics, survey results, etc.
- Surveys, user-generated content, access to the exclusive dataset or even compiling publicly available data are some of the ways of creating data-driven assets.
- If you have access to exclusive data or statistics, you can scale the process of creating thousands of pages with programmatic SEO.
🗓️ Free Resources & Upcoming Events
💡 1. SEO Pro Extension [Must Have Tool For SEOs]
If you’re into SEO, blogging, content marketing, or even content/copywriting, you’ll find this tool pretty useful.
It saves you a lot of time by giving you all the on-page information in a few seconds.
Here’s a screenshot of the extension in action:
With this SEO Pro extension, you can check the following on page info:
- Title tag
- Meta description
- Canonical URL
- Meta robots
- Internal & external links
- Schema markup used
- Image alt text
- Heading structure of the webpage
- Core Web Vitals, and more.
💡 2. Email Marketing Friday Forum [3 Presentations By Top Email Marketing Experts]
“Email is the only place where people—and not algorithms—are in control.”- Ann Handley, author of Everybody Writes.
This is why email remains one of the most effective marketing channels out there, but only when you’re doing it right.
If you want to learn:
- Content strategy for email marketing
- Email segmentation
- Key KPIs to measure the ROI, and more
Then you’ll get valuable insights from this session.
- Modern Email Metrics That Matter
- 6 Ways to Boost Email Engagement With Video
- Customer Journey Content for Email
💡 3. How PureLinq Built 600+ Links in 30 Days & You Can, Too
Links are still important in SEO.
But building quality links at scale is still not easy. If you face the same challenge to acquire links at scale, then you’ll love this case study.
In this webinar, Kevin Rowe (CEO at PureLinq) will show you:
In this webinar, you’ll learn about:
- Setting up a link building program that generated over 600 links in one month.
- How to plan an effective outreach plan that gets a 90% response rate and more.
💡 4. Online YoastCon | A Free Online Even Focused On eCommerce SEO
Yoast SEO is coming to Shopify. And, to celebrate this, Yoast is hosting an online YoastCon.
After this event, you’ll:
- Know how to improve the SEO of your online stores
- Have actionable tips to get started right away
- Be able to use Yoast SEO for Shopify to its fullest
💬 SEO & Content Marketing Wisdom
💡 1. Using Schema For Fact-Checking Website
“🔸 If you have a fact-checking website (reviewing claims made by others), then using the ‘ClaimReview‘ schema can enhance your Google search result snippet.
🔸 You can highlight – claim, claimer, and fact.“
Learn more about fact check markup
– Shared By Praveen Sharma (SEO Strategist & Consultant)
💡 2. One Important Content Marketing Lesson From Healthline
Probably the best decision of Healthline was to start creating their own content assets.
Currently, they are driving 200m+ organic visits every month.
This reminds us of the one key content marketing rule, which is to invest in building your own quality content assets for a long term game.
💡 3. Add This To Your Email Sign Up Form & You’ll Be Ahead Of Your Competition
I’ve recently started running a content marketing series on IndieHackers and have acquired 250+ email subscribers so far.
But the feature that I loved the most is that once you type your email to subscribe to the newsletter, you’ll get a field asking:
Why’d you subscribe?
This is incredibly helpful as this small change gives me insights into the needs of my audience.
Here are some of the reasons people are joining my newsletter:
- Need more leads
- I saw your Mailchimp glossary breakdown and wanted more content like that.
This way, I’ll have a clear idea of what my audience actually wants from the newsletter.
– Sk Rafiqul Islam (Creator of Content Marketing VIP)
🆕 What’s New
💡1. Microsoft Bing Releases IndexNow Plugin For WordPress
A few months back, the IndexNow protocol was launched. Search engines can instantly index new pages and get informed about content updates/deletion
by using the protocol.
Last week, Microsoft released the IndexNox plugin for WordPress users so the site owners will get the advantage of submitting URLs in the background.
“It detects page creation/update/ deletion in WordPress and automatically submits the URLs in the background.
This ensures that search engines will always have the latest updates about your site.”
💼 Content Marketing Jobs [New]
ApnaWriter, a content writing agency (based in India), is hiring a content marketing fresher and a content editor. Here are a few more details:
- Job role: Content editor | salary range ~25k INR per month)
- Job role: Content Marketing Fresher with good communication skills | salary range ~20k – 30k INR per month)
How to apply?
Send your CV/Portfolio/resume to [email protected]. You may mention content marketing VIP as a referral source.